Welcome to Quality Chai! Today, we will be sharing a delicious recipe for rooibos bread. This recipe serves as a perfect balance between the rich, nutty flavor of rooibos tea and the familiar taste of a classic bread. Whether you’re a tea lover or simply looking for a new twist on a traditional bread recipe, the rooibos bread will not disappoint. So, let’s get started on making this unique and flavorful bread. We’ve made this rooibos bread recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 500g bread flour
- 10g salt
- 10g instant yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 rooibos tea bags
- 300ml warm water
- Fill a measuring cup with 300ml of warm water.
- Add two rooibos tea bags into the measuring cup, and let them steep for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix 500g bread flour, 10g salt, and 10g instant yeast together.
- Remove the tea bags from the measuring cup, then stir in one tablespoon of honey into the tea.
- Slowly pour the tea and honey mixture into the flour mixture while stirring until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-7 minutes so that it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean, damp towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a round loaf.
- Place the loaf in a greased bread pan and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Bake the bread for 30-35 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Take the bread out of the oven, then remove it from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve!
How long does rooibos bread last in the fridge?
Rooibos bread can typically be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days after baking. It’s important to let the bread cool completely before placing it in an airtight container or wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap to preserve freshness and prevent it from drying out. For longer storage, the bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. It’s best to slice the bread before freezing and wrap each slice individually to make it easier to thaw and use as needed.
Low calorie rooibos bread recipe substitutions
To make this Rooibos Bread recipe lower calorie, there are some substitutions that can be made. First, you can replace the bread flour with all-purpose flour or a mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour to reduce the calorie count. Second, you can reduce or eliminate the honey if you prefer a less sweet flavor, as honey contributes to the overall calorie count. Third, you can reduce the amount of salt or replace it with low-sodium alternatives to cut down on sodium intake. Finally, you can decrease the amount of yeast used in the recipe to slow down the fermentation process, resulting in a denser bread with fewer calories. These substitutions can significantly reduce the calorie count of the bread without compromising its flavor.
What to serve with a rooibos bread?
Rooibos bread is a delicious and aromatic bread made from rooibos tea. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor that makes it a great bread for breakfast or as a snack. To serve with rooibos bread, you can pair it with some savory toppings like butter, cream cheese, or avocado spread, or you can go for sweet toppings like honey, fruit preserves, or Nutella. Rooibos bread can also be sliced and used as the base for sandwiches, toasties, or as a side for soups and salads. Its unique flavor makes it a versatile bread that can be enjoyed in many different ways.
Whats the best sauce for a rooibos bread?
Rooibos bread is a sweet and fragrant bread, often served for breakfast or as a snack. To complement the unique flavor of rooibos, the best sauce to serve with it would be a simple honey butter. Softened butter is mixed with honey to create a smooth and sweet spread that enhances the rooibos flavor without overpowering it. Drizzle the honey butter on top of each slice of rooibos bread, or spread it generously for a delicious and satisfying treat that is perfect for any time of day.
Rooibos bread health benefits
Rooibos bread can have some health benefits as it contains antioxidants, which can help lower the risk of chronic diseases. Rooibos also contains less caffeine than black or green tea, making it a good choice for those who are sensitive to caffeine. However, the nutritional value of rooibos bread depends on its ingredients, so it may not be necessarily healthier than other types of bread. If you are looking for a healthier recipe, you could try making a whole wheat or sourdough bread, which are high in fiber and may help lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Additionally, adding ingredients like nuts, seeds, and dried fruits can provide extra nutrients and flavor.
Check out other popular quality chai essentials!