Welcome to Quality Chai, where we believe that the perfect cup of tea should be paired with the perfect dessert. And in today’s recipe, we aim to provide just that with our delicious Pu Erh Ice Cream. Made with the earthy, yet smooth taste of aged Pu Erh tea, this ice cream is the perfect way to end a hearty meal or to enjoy on a hot summer day. So buckle up, and get ready to impress your taste buds with the unbeatable flavors of this unique dessert. We’ve made this pu ehr ice cream recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Pu-erh tea bags
- 6 large egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, and salt over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add the Pu-erh tea bags and steep for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Slowly pour in the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard any solids.
- Cool mixture to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Churn mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions until the ice cream is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Scoop and serve.
As a chef, I would suggest you to follow the instructions given below for making the Pu-erh ice cream recipe:
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and add heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, and salt to it. Stir gently over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Now, add the Pu-erh tea bags to it and steep for 10 minutes. Once steeped, remove the tea bags and discard them.
- Take a separate bowl and whisk egg yolks until they become smooth. Now, slowly pour the hot cream mixture over the whisked yolks, whisking the mixture constantly.
- Pour this mixture back to the saucepan and cook it over medium heat while stirring it constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Be careful not to boil the mixture.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and strain the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve. Discard any solids left behind.
- Cool the mixture down to room temperature and cover it with a plastic wrap. Then, put it in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 2 hours or until overnight.
- Place the chilled mixture in the ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until the ice cream becomes smooth and creamy.
- Put the churned ice cream in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for about 2 hours, until it becomes firm.
- Scoop the ice cream and Serve it.
How long does pu ehr ice cream last in the fridge?
Pu-erh ice cream can typically be stored in the fridge for up to one week after cooking, as long as it is kept in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn and other forms of contamination. It is important to note, however, that the flavor and texture of the ice cream may begin to deteriorate after the first few days, so it is generally best to consume it as soon as possible for maximum freshness and quality. Additionally, it is important to follow proper food safety guidelines when storing and handling any type of food product, including ice cream, to minimize the risk of bacterial growth and other health hazards.
Low calorie pu ehr ice cream recipe substitutions
To make this Pu-erh Ice Cream recipe lower in calories, substitute the heavy cream with low-fat milk, such as 2% or skim milk, and the whole milk with almond milk or any other plant-based milk. Instead of using 6 large egg yolks, use 4 large egg yolks or ½ cup of egg substitute. Reduce the amount of sugar by at least half or substitute some of the sugar with a sugar substitute like Stevia. The salt can be left out or reduced, as per personal preference. Lastly, serve the ice cream in smaller portions to reduce the total calorie intake. While these substitutions may alter the texture and taste of the ice cream, it still promises to be a delicious and healthier treat.
What to serve with a pu ehr ice cream?
Pu erh ice cream is a unique and unusual flavor, with its earthy and slightly bitter taste. To best complement the complex flavors of the ice cream, it is best to serve it with a simple and neutral accompaniment that won’t overpower it. Some good options include vanilla wafers, shortbread cookies, or a plain pound cake. Additionally, fresh fruits like berries or sliced peaches can add a nice contrast to the rich ice cream. Overall, the goal is to choose something that will enhance the unique flavor of the pu erh ice cream without competing with it.
Whats the best sauce for a pu ehr ice cream?
Pu-erh tea is a bold, earthy tea that pairs well with rich and sweet flavors, such as vanilla ice cream. To create a sauce for pu-erh ice cream, you could combine a sweet ingredient like honey or agave with strong brewed pu-erh tea, simmering the mixture until it thickens slightly. For added complexity, you could also infuse the tea with cinnamon, vanilla, or ginger before adding it to the sauce. The resulting sauce would complement the ice cream’s sweetness while adding a bold, unique flavor from the pu-erh tea.
Pu ehr ice cream health benefits
There are no definitive studies on the specific health benefits of eating pu erh ice cream. However, pu erh tea has been shown to have potential health benefits, such as reducing cholesterol levels, aiding in digestion, and improving cardiovascular health. That being said, ice cream is typically high in fat and sugar and not considered an especially healthy food. A healthier alternative would be to make a fruit-based sorbet with a pu erh tea infusion. This way, you can still enjoy the benefits of pu erh tea while also enjoying a more nutritious dessert.
Check out other popular quality chai essentials!