Greetings foodies and tea lovers! Are you craving something cool and refreshing to combat the rising summer heat? Look no further than our recipe for homemade green tea ice cream. This creamy treat combines the delicate flavors of matcha green tea with rich and velvety ice cream. It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion, and we guarantee it will be a crowd-pleaser. So, grab your spoon and let’s get to mixing up some goodness! We’ve made this green tea ice cream recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 4 large egg yolks
- Combine 2 cups of heavy cream, 1 cup of whole milk, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Place the saucepan on medium heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons of matcha green tea powder until fully combined.
- Whisk 4 large egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Gradually pour the hot cream mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return it to medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon; this will take around 5-7 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours, or overnight if you prefer.
- Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm, for a minimum of 2 hours.
How long does green tea ice cream last in the fridge?
Green tea ice cream can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks, but it is best to consume it within three to four days for optimal freshness and flavor. It is important to store it in an airtight container and keep it away from strong-smelling foods to prevent any odors from affecting its taste. Before serving, allow the ice cream to soften for a few minutes at room temperature to make it easier to scoop. Enjoy!
Low calorie green tea ice cream recipe substitutions
To make this green tea ice cream recipe lower calorie, we could substitute some of the ingredients with lower-fat options. Instead of using 2 cups of heavy cream, we could use half-and-half or whole milk. Also, instead of using whole milk, we could use skim milk or almond milk. To reduce the amount of sugar, we could use sugar substitutes like stevia or Splenda. Additionally, we could reduce the number of eggs from 4 yolks to 2 yolks or switch to using egg substitute. These substitutions would help to reduce the calorie content of the green tea ice cream while still maintaining its creamy texture and delicious taste.
What to serve with a green tea ice cream?
Green tea ice cream is a delicate and soft-flavored dessert that can be paired with a variety of complementary flavors. However, to truly showcase the unique flavor of the ice cream, it is best to serve it with light and subtle accompaniments. Berries such as raspberries and strawberries work well with green tea ice cream, as do light and crispy Japanese wafer cookies called “wagashi.” For a more decadent option, drizzle a honey or caramel sauce over the top, or sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds for an added nutty flavor. Overall, the ideal accompaniment for green tea ice cream is a light and refreshing flavor that won’t overpower the ice cream’s delicate taste.
Whats the best sauce for a green tea ice cream?
The best sauce for green tea ice cream is a simple and light strawberry compote. The tartness of the strawberries pairs well with the slightly bitter flavor of the green tea, while the sweetness provides balance. To make the compote, cook sliced strawberries with sugar and a splash of lemon juice until they break down and become syrupy. The sauce should be cooled before serving to prevent it from melting the ice cream too quickly. Drizzle the strawberry compote over a scoop of green tea ice cream for a delicious and refreshing dessert.
Green tea ice cream health benefits
Green tea ice cream has several health benefits. Green tea contains antioxidants that help to protect the body against diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. It also contains catechins, which increase metabolism and aid in weight loss. Furthermore, it contains theanine, which promotes relaxation and reduces stress levels. However, it is important to note that green tea ice cream often contains added sugar and cream, which can be detrimental to health if consumed in excess. For a healthier alternative, I recommend a recipe for a fruit smoothie bowl made with frozen fruit, almond milk, and a scoop of protein powder. This recipe is low in calories, high in fiber and protein, and contains no added sugars.
Check out other popular quality chai essentials!