Welcome to Quality Chai! Today, we present to you a delicious and soothing recipe for chamomile ice cream. This unique recipe combines the classic flavor of vanilla ice cream with the subtle, floral taste of chamomile tea, resulting in a delightful dessert that’s perfect to enjoy on a warm summer day or to simply wind down after a long day. Follow the steps below to create your very own batch of creamy and comforting chamomile ice cream. We’ve made this chamomile ice cream recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried chamomile flowers
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat and add 2 cups of heavy cream, 1 cup of whole milk, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers. Mix the ingredients together and allow them to heat up, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot, but not boiling.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it steep for 30 minutes. This allows the chamomile flavor to infuse into the mixture.
- While the mixture is steeping, whisk five egg yolks together in a separate bowl until they are a pale yellow color and slightly thickened.
- After 30 minutes, slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat it over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to a custard-like consistency and coats the back of a spoon.
- Once you have a thickened mixture, remove it from the heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl to remove any chamomile flowers or lumps, making sure it’s completely smooth.
- Get some plastic wrap and cover the bowl with it, making sure the wrap touches the surface of the ice cream mixture. This prevents a skin from forming as it cools.
- Put the bowl in the refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- After the mixture has cooled, churn the ice cream in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze it for at least 4 hours before serving.
How long does chamomile ice cream last in the fridge?
Chamomile ice cream, like other homemade ice creams, can last for up to two weeks in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. Proper storage is crucial in maintaining its texture, flavor, and quality. Make sure that the container is tightly sealed and kept at a consistent temperature of 0°F to -10°F. Before consuming, it is recommended to let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften it up after being stored in the freezer. If the ice cream looks or smells off, it is best to discard it.
Low calorie chamomile ice cream recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower calorie, some substitutions could be made. Instead of heavy cream, a lighter option like half-and-half or whole milk could be used. Stevia or a low-calorie sweetener can be used instead of granulated sugar. Also, the egg yolks could be reduced or replaced with a healthier option like a mashed banana or avocado. These substitutions can help to reduce the overall calorie content while maintaining the flavor and texture of the chamomile ice cream.
What to serve with a chamomile ice cream?
Chamomile ice cream has a distinctively floral and delicate flavor that pairs well with light and subtle dessert options. Some perfect choices to serve with chamomile ice cream include fresh fruits like strawberries or peaches, angel food cake, or shortbread cookies. Additionally, a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of finely crushed lavender can further enhance the floral notes of the ice cream and add a touch of sweetness. Avoid pairing it with bold or overpowering flavors that can clash with the subtle chamomile flavor.
Whats the best sauce for a chamomile ice cream?
When it comes to complementing chamomile ice cream, a honey drizzle sauce is an excellent choice. Honey is a natural partner for chamomile, creating a delicate yet rich flavor profile that complements the mild floral and herbal notes of the ice cream. A light pour of honey drizzle on top of the chamomile ice cream will add a soft sweetness to the dessert, while its viscosity will help to balance the richness and keep the ice cream from melting too quickly. Additionally, a sprinkle of chopped nuts or coconut flakes on top of the honey drizzle can add some crunch and texture to the final dish.
Chamomile ice cream health benefits
Chamomile ice cream may offer some health benefits due to its key ingredient, chamomile. Chamomile is known for its calming properties and may help promote sleep and reduce stress and anxiety. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can help promote overall health and protect against chronic diseases. However, it’s important to note that ice cream is typically high in sugar and fat, so consuming it in moderation is recommended. For a healthier recipe, I would suggest trying a fruit sorbet or frozen yogurt made with natural sweeteners and low-fat dairy or non-dairy alternatives.
Check out other popular quality chai essentials!