Welcome to Quality Chai! If you’re a fan of delicate and soothing chamomile tea, then you’ll love this chamomile cake recipe. With its light and fluffy texture and subtle floral notes, it’s the perfect addition to your afternoon tea or dessert menu. Whether you’re baking for a special occasion or just need a relaxing treat, this chamomile cake is not to be missed. So let’s get started! We’ve made this chamomile cake recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chamomile tea
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the mixture aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chamomile tea and milk. Set this mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. This should take around 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the mixture, making sure to beat well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three separate additions, alternating with the chamomile tea mixture. Always begin with and end with the flour mixture, mixing the ingredients until they are just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch (23cm) cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for around 5-10 minutes before you remove it. Once it’s out of the pan, transfer the cake to a wire rack, allowing it to cool completely.
- Serve the warm or room-temperature chamomile cake and enjoy!
How long does chamomile cake last in the fridge?
Chamomile cake can be stored in the fridge for up to five days after it has been cooked. It is important to ensure that the cake is completely cooled before storing it in an airtight container or wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap. This will help to prolong the freshness and prevent the cake from becoming dry. Before serving, bring the cake to room temperature for best results. Additionally, to ensure maximum freshness, it is best to store the chamomile cake without any frosting or toppings, which can be added just before serving.
Low calorie chamomile cake recipe substitutions
To make this chamomile cake recipe lower in calories, there are several substitutions that can be made. Firstly, for the 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, you can substitute half or all of it with unsweetened applesauce or mashed ripe bananas for a lower-fat option. Additionally, you can use a low-calorie sweetener instead of granulated sugar, such as stevia or erythritol, to cut down on the total sugar content. For the all-purpose flour, you can use a mixture of whole wheat flour and almond flour or coconut flour, which are lower in calories and higher in fiber and protein. Finally, you can reduce the amount of chamomile tea and milk by 1/4 cup each, and add more vanilla extract, to still give the cake flavor while reducing the number of calories.
What to serve with a chamomile cake?
Chamomile cake is a delicate and light dessert that pairs well with simple and subtle flavors. Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream is a classic and complimentary option that won’t overpower the floral notes of the cake. Additionally, fresh berries or a berry compote can provide a pop of color and tanginess to contrast with the cake’s sweetness. If served as part of a larger dessert spread, lemon sorbet, shortbread cookies, or even Earl Grey tea can make excellent accompaniments.
Whats the best sauce for a chamomile cake?
Chamomile cake is a delicate and fragrant dessert that pairs well with light and subtle sauces. A simple yet elegant option is a honey cream sauce made with heavy cream, honey, and a touch of vanilla extract. This sauce complements the floral notes of the chamomile cake while adding a creamy and slightly sweet flavor. To make the sauce, simply heat the cream and honey in a saucepan on medium-low heat until it thickens slightly, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Drizzle the sauce over the chamomile cake just before serving for a perfect combination of flavors.
Chamomile cake health benefits
Although chamomile cake may provide a calming effect due to the herb chamomile, there are no significant health benefits associated with this dessert. To make a healthier dessert, consider making a fruit salad with fresh berries, sliced kiwi, and a drizzle of honey. This dessert is full of antioxidants and vitamins and is a naturally sweet and refreshing option.
Check out other popular quality chai essentials!