Welcome, chai lovers! Today, we’re excited to share with you a recipe that marries two beloved things: chai and cake. If you’re a fan of the fragrant and spicy blend of chai tea, you’ll definitely enjoy this chai cake recipe. The soft and moist cake is infused with a homemade chai spice mix that adds a delightful warmth to every bite. So, put on the kettle and let’s get baking! We’ve made this chai cake recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons loose black tea leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (room temperature) and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs (room temperature), one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of loose black tea leaves over medium heat until the milk is steaming.
- Remove from the heat and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain the milk and discard the tea leaves.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
How long does chai cake last in the fridge?
Chai cake can typically be stored in the fridge for up to 5-7 days after cooking, as long as it is properly covered or stored in an airtight container to prevent the cake from drying out or absorbing any unwanted odors. It is important to make sure that the cake has fully cooled to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator. Additionally, if you want to extend the shelf life of your chai cake, you can also freeze it for up to 3-4 months. However, keep in mind that storing the cake for an extended period of time may affect its freshness and taste.
Low calorie chai cake recipe substitutions
To make this chai cake recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions that could be made. Firstly, replacing the all-purpose flour with a lower calorie and higher protein alternative such as almond flour or oat flour. Secondly, replacing the unsalted butter with a lighter alternative such as applesauce, Greek yogurt, or mashed bananas. These substitutions can reduce the calorie content significantly while also adding more nutrients to the cake. Additionally, using a calorie-free sweetener such as stevia or monk fruit instead of sugar can lower the calorie count even further. Finally, reducing the quantity of sugar used in the recipe can also make a significant difference in calorie intake.
What to serve with a chai cake?
There are a variety of options to serve with chai cake depending on your personal preference. For a classic combination, you can serve the cake with a hot cup of chai tea or even a latte made with chai spices. To enhance the spiced flavors of the chai cake, you can pair it with a dollop of whipped cream or cream cheese frosting. Alternatively, you can serve the cake with fresh fruit such as sliced pears or stewed apples for a delicious contrast in flavors. Finally, for a decadent treat, you can always serve the chai cake with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
Whats the best sauce for a chai cake?
The best sauce for chai cake is a simple but delicious cream cheese frosting. The spicy and aromatic flavors of the chai cake compliment the tanginess of the frosting perfectly. To make the frosting, beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and a small amount of vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake and serve. The combination of the soft and fluffy cake with the rich, creamy frosting is sure to be a hit with anyone who tries it.
Chai cake health benefits
Chai cake is typically made with ingredients such as black tea, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom, which are known for their various health benefits. For instance, black tea is rich in antioxidants and may help reduce the risk of chronic disease. Cinnamon may help improve blood sugar control and lower the risk of heart disease. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea properties, while cardamom is believed to have antibacterial properties. However, the overall health benefits of chai cake may be negated by the high sugar and fat content of traditional cake recipes. For those looking for a healthier option, a better alternative might be a spiced sweet potato cake made with whole grain flour, sweetened with honey or maple syrup, and topped with a low-fat cream cheese frosting.
Check out other popular quality chai essentials!